Monday, May 25, 2009

Update

Grandmommie went to the hospital on Friday with severe abdominal pain. She had not eaten in about 4 days and was getting dehydrated and sickly. My Mom took her to the Emergency Room under orders of Uncle Al because she didn't have enough time in the day on Friday to get in to her regular doctor. They admitted her into the hospital and she actually is still there as of today. She will have to stay there until she gets completely better. She has an infection in her colon. They gave her antibiotics through and IV, fluids through an IV, and also morphine for the pain. That must be intense. I know that morphine is a very strong drug. I am glad to hear that she will recover however. She will also probably need some rehab when she gets out because of the fact she has to sit in the bed for so long and it is causing her legs and other parts of her body to feel sore and not even able to move. I hope that this will get better soon. Moving around is the most important thing for anyone, especially the elderly.

Appalachian lost their games on Thursday and on Friday as well last week so the guys ended up staying the night on Friday and coming home on Saturday morning. Josh got in about noon and we got our things into the car and went on to Montreat. I am sad that I didn't get to go to Greenville and see the games and my cousin Kevin but I'm glad that we got to visit with Billy and Pat at Montreat. Even though we live in the mountains Montreat is still an amazing get away. The Porter house there was built in 1907. Can you believe that it's over 100 years old? It is in great condition and the downstairs has been redone since the year 1907 I'm sure. The upstairs is more of the old timey look and gives you the home feeling every time you step foot inside of it. We went to lunch at Dr. Pepper's as soon as we got there. This restaurant is right in the middle of Black Mountain downtown. We then hung out at the house and helped straighten up a few things. We mounted a flat screen tv on the wall in the living room which I might add is a very nice addition to the downstairs. Papa Porter will love it I'm sure when he sees it for the first time in a few weeks. Bill Porter comes up for a few weeks every summer and relaxes and gathers his thoughts. I think that it's kind of like his sabbatical, as you hear so many people talk about in the summers. Saturday night we went to dinner in Asheville at a place called Cheddar's and ate entirely too much. Then that night we just watched tv together and fell asleep. Sunday morning we got up and did more things around the house. I wanted to go to church at Montreat Presbyterian Church but we just couldn't gather ourselves together in time because we were so tired and lazy. We did get more things done around the house. We all left in the mid afternoon and headed back home. I was sad to go but glad that we had been able to be together.

While we were at Montreat and sharing stories about our lives, Pat told me a story about how Josh's cousin Eric is in the hospital in Tennessee. He apparently had surgery on his hand and it has become infected. He has been in the hospital for about 10 days I believe and they are saying that he needs to control his drug habit or he will die. His brain apparently has been fried from using so many drugs. This is a sad thing because everyone in the family loves him and wants the best for him, not the worst. He will have to do something in order to be able to regain control of his brain and drugs are not the answer. I say prayers for him everyday that he will make a full recovery and not need to turn to drugs for an answer or for an escape.

In the mean time, my family had been gathering together at the hospital in Charlotte to take care of Grandmommie. Uncle Al and Aunt Ann had gotten Grandmommie a new loveseat from a furniture store in Charlotte and put it in her living room. I know that she will be excited to come hom to this surprise and will find herself more comfortable on that couch I'm sure than her old couch. That couch was beginning to feel very uncomfortable and she spent most of her time in a chair instead. Al and Ann weren't leaving until today so I'm glad that my Mom and Dad got to spend some time with them. It's so nice to be with family.

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. ~Desmond Tutu

There is nothing more precious in my eyes than family :)

No comments:

Post a Comment