Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ephesians 4:1

This book called Devotion for Couples by David and Teresa Ferguson is fabulous and really puts family life into perspective.

May 14, 2009

Josh and I have been reading through a devotion book for couples for the year after they get
married. Today the devotion is titled "To Beseech Another with Exhortation, Comfort, and Care." I therefore....beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called. Ephesians 4:1 Caring entreaty helps give purpose and passion to life. It's easy to fall into the barenness of a busy life, thus faithfully addressing the tyranny of the urgent while the truly significant goes unnoticed. Caring entreaty brings me back to eternal reality. Life is short, but people are eternal, and I can make a difference in their lives.

Christ often gave testimony of being "entreated" by His Father. "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing, for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does." (John 5:19)

Maybe such times of entreaty reminded the Son of His first day of ministry, when at the River Jordan He heard His Father say, "This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased." (Matthew 3:17). In many ways, His earthly ministry can be seen in terms of a relationship between the Son and His Father.It's this priority of relationship that seemed to guard Christ from being caught up in temporal things, allowing Him to remain free to reach out in love.

Christ's example ecourages my openness to entreaty. Teresa seems to have a special sense about the children's needs for time and attention. As the tyranny of busy schedules begins to take its toll on family closeness, she seems to sense the need to reconnect. Her loving entreaty maintains our family priority. "Honey, I think it might be important to plan some relaxing family time," she will tell me. "Everyone seems to be needing it."

I've just been reminded-entreated-in a loving way about what really matters.

Question: What would you and your spouse put at the top of your list of priorities today?

This devotion that I read really helps me to realize that there are times that family just needs to sit down together and care about only each other for the time being. I think that this even means Josh and I and our dogs. When life gets busy I do know that being together can make everything all better again. Life does get busy for everyone and the Lord provides time to be with those that you love the most and that make your world go round. God isn't only concerned about taking care of you in the physical needs but in emotional needs as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment